[plug] PostgreSQL & web page interface

Lyndon Kroker ljkroker at netvigator.com
Wed Aug 21 23:27:56 WST 2002

Hi Tim,

> I need to create a web based interface to a postgreSQL database.  What
> tools are available for this & what are the pros & cons of each option?

I have extensively used a tool called phpMyAdmin to interface to MySQL.  It
is an outstanding tool for administering the database using a web browser.
The good news for PostgreSQL users is that phpMyAdmin has been ported to
PostgreSQL.  The new program is called phpPgAdmin.  You can find some info
here:

http://www.il.postgresql.org/interfaces.html

The program can be downloaded from:
http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net

If it's anything like phpMyAdmin for MySQL (which it probably is) it is very
easy to install and configure.

If by creating an interface you mean setting up forms and processing, then
PHP might be what you need.  Their web site is great and online documentation
is excellent.  If you want to know about a function (like explode() for
example) you just put it in the URL:

http://www.php.net/explode

Takes you right there... pretty cool.

Hope this helps.