[plug] I hate myself :( rm -r gone too far....

Sol sol at terminus.net.au
Thu Aug 22 12:47:43 WST 2002

I wanted to destroy a no longer needed configuration
directory /usr/local/etc/ .  A careless moment of stupidity caused me
to do this:

localhost:/usr/local# rm -r /etc

Fortunately I ctrl-c after about 2 seconds and stopped this command
from reaching it's completion. It seems on the surface that not much is
lost. I have /etc backed up from about one month ago and most of it
should be current. However, I don't want to just copy the backup over
the damaged directory because I will lose whatever configuration I've
done in the past month.

My question is after I unpack etc.tgz, how can I work out the
differences between the files in the two directories so that I know
which files need to be replaced?

Thankyou.
sol