[plug] I hate myself :( rm -r gone too far....

Sol sol at terminus.net.au
Thu Aug 22 13:23:27 WST 2002

> You might want to try rsync(1) to get the bulk of it back (ie, files
that
> are missing).
>
> Or maybe .. rsync your current /etc dir into the unpacked backup -
which
> should update files that have been modified and that you still have,
then mv
> the whole lot back to /etc to override the partial set of files you
have
> there.
Thankyou Brian,

This should do the trick I think. However, I've just found a more
immediate problem:

I have no name!@localhost$

I can't become root because one of the user config files has been
zapped, so I don't have enough permission to write anything to /etc.
Any ideas????

> Think about adding the line :
>   alias rm='rm -i'
> to you /etc/profile file.
 Definitely. The pain of doing this once is bad enough. If only Linux
were ideeot proof. :(

sol