[plug] Linux en passant

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Aug 22 17:55:09 WST 2002

Last night, a client of mine had one of his business premises burgled. He runs
an application on Windows Terminal Services at a central location, and won't
consider Linux on a workstation.

The burglars, genius benefactors of mankind that they are, elected to steal
one of eight thin-client Win2k workstations and the antique Pentium that was
running the Internet gateway and VPN. Just the boxes: no keyboards, mice,
cables, hubs etc went. They also left another Win2k client machine in the
same rack that held the two stolen boxes... go figure.

So... I borrowed a box and set it up as a replacement gateway (and I'd been
asking him if I could update it anyway). I had to run off for a medical
appointment so I finished the setup by remote control.

And there it sat, with a nice screen, keyboard and mouse on it, luxuries to
which the gateway was unaccustomed. And they were short one screen.

So... a few edits of /etc/inittab later, it is now running X with no WM, and a
fullscreened rdesktop client. I rang the business, and asked a staff member
to tell me what they saw on the screen. They did not notice any difference
from their usual Windows-based Terminal Server client, logged in and went
happily to work on it. If either X or rdesktop dies, inittab restarts it (-:
as user jrandomuser :-).

The owner is overseas on a well-earned holiday (he left yesterday, naturally),
so it's going to be interesting seeing his reaction when he returns in a few
weeks.

Cheers; Leon