[plug] [link] Telstra eyes Linux

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Aug 23 20:42:17 WST 2002

>>Telstra will explore using the open source Linux OS as
>>part of a new standard operating platform
>

> That would put them in danger of supporting Linux clients as well - shock,
> horror, astonishment.

Very unlikely. They're almost certain to only support win32 and
grudgingly MacOS (like now). Among other things, a linux deployment
probably wouldn't affect their install "techs" or customer service
types, so not much would really change from the direct user support end.
As it stands, nothing @telstra is incompatable with linux AFAIK (when I
had cable with them it worked great so long as I didn't use their mail
servers and used iiNet's DNS as a backup). They aren't much more likely
to re-train staff if they do deploy linux than they were before. At
least at first.

Of course, if they do a really widespread deployment then after it sinks
in and people get used to it, they might change their attitude to
supporting linux. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a quick change though.

Disclaimer: I'm a _really_ bitter ex-Testra customer, and they _still_
haven't given me my money back on that modem 6 months later. Objectivity
definitely not guaranteed.