[plug] RH7.x

Patrick Tehvand patrick at perthix.net
Mon Aug 26 13:45:03 WST 2002

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 13:39, Bret Busby wrote:
> Perhaps, it could be worth you having a look at 7.3?
>
> From what has been mentioned on the list, 7.1 had lots of broken bits,
> that were fixed by 7.3, and the latest kernel (from the up2date agent)
> is 2.4.18-10 (from memory), so the up2date agent (when it works) is
> pretty good for keeping up to date, from most aspects.
>
> So far, 7.3 seems good to me. The main thing that I have found, that I
> don't like, is the lack of availability of the RHN for the up2date
> agent, unless a person pays for being able to update, which makes RH a
> bit mercenary, when users have to pay for bug fixes. But, that goes to
> my standards for software development, which appear to be different to
> RH's standards for software development.
>
> I asume that the PLUG library has a copy of 7.3?

I find that the port of Apt-get (aptly called apt-rpm "no pun intended") is
much better than up2date. It is a few days behind the up2date errata list but
still better availibility.

Oh, and if plug doesnt have a copy of 7.3 i'll bring one to the next meeting I
attend or hand it to someone at a SLPWA meeting (the more likely thing).

Patrick