[plug] RH7.x

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Aug 26 21:05:03 WST 2002

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 rhn-help at redhat.com wrote:

> Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 03:58:00 -0400
> From: rhn-help at redhat.com
> To: bret at busby.net
> Subject: RHN Support Request #32528
>

> Dear Sir,
>
> Up2date is functional. However, if the system encounters extreme traffic during
> the update, it will disconnect all the users that has free service and will
> only retain users that are entitled.

"extreme traffic" appears (from experience) to mean the system gets a
bit busy as a significant update, such as a kernel update, is available.

Thus, to use the service, a person has to pay to be ensured access. The
message above, makes it clear that Red Hat regards people who do not
have paid support contracts, as not being entitled to the bug fixes.

I had been trying for about a week, to get the kernel update. I have
each time (apart from the time where I encountered the first error
message about being short of space), encountered the message that the
facility was only available to people with paid support contracts. Time
of day is irrelevant, when this happens. (When the updates are not as
significant, time of day can affect the updating, as the downloads are
more available, if they are less significant.)

It becomes a question of whether it is free, when it is not available
to people who do not have paid support contracts.

Having got chucked off our Internet connection, as our 4 hour minimum
period had expired, the download has just started again from scratch.

Hopefully, we will manage to get the download completed before they
wake up in the USA, and start all their downloads by people who have
paid support. Otherwise, it is just more wasted bandidth, and, more
wasted time in trying to get the update, and, no update, as we have not
paid support contract fees.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988