[plug] ECAWA presentation Friday (cue evil music) the 13th of September

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Aug 27 14:00:48 WST 2002

Hokay, I finally drummed some confirmations out of ECAWA!

I/we will be on from 11:45 to 12:30 on Friday the 13th of September at The
Atrium, Mandurah, plus we have 15 minutes before and after that to argue with
the next/previous speaker's crew about setting up and knocking down.

We can probably leave the gear in the room to be toyed with over lunch, and/or
move it out into a foyer area outside the room, but there will be no security
guarantees. A simple chain around the table structure and a padlock per
anchor and machine would be enough if this is a concern; mouse/keyboard/video
cables run through the padlock loop is generally enough to secure those.

Arie de Vries and Brian Tombleson have already volunteered to help out, and
Brian has volunteered use of a high-end `client' machine. I plan to have his
machine plus a Celery 450 of my own and a P166-class box strung off the
server (my own Athlon 1800) which will also be doing the presentation (with X
and the presentation software nice-minus-tenned) and people silently doing
stuff on all of these while I present.

They will have approximately 130 people attending the whole conference, and
five concurrent streams, so on average we should have 27 attendees. I'm going
to send them a teaser for the ECHALK list which will hopefully nudge that
upwards a bit.

    http://www.ecawa.asn.au/conferences/conf2002/conf2002.htm

As the site says, `Session details coming soon', I have been told tha tthey
are being keyed in as I type.

For the record, our session will be entitled `Speed Made Simple: Zero
Management Full Power Computing for Under $800 per Screen Retail', and for
those who weren't listening in previous meetings (or weren't SLPWA members),
we will be showing off the Linux Terminal Server Project to educators and
related people.

I intend to promote both SLPWA and PLUG. I hope to have handouts available,
including some CDs of both Linux and Windows OSS software (at least
OpenOffice, Mozilla and some edutainment, specific suggestions welcome) so if
someone wants to drum up a one-pager for SLPWA and for PLUG (this goes to
both lists) extolling the virtues of each organisation from the PoV of
educators, please say so and that would be much appreciated. Something like
an A4 or a 3-fold would be fine. I can arrange the copying.

Cheers; Leon

--
CyberKnights                 Modern tools, traditional dedication.
+61-409-655-359              http://www.cyberknights.com.au/