[plug] Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Universities

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Aug 28 15:37:19 WST 2002

For the encouragement of the troops, a `local' weighs in... although I must
admit, he _did_ top-post:

Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Universities
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 16:41:28 +1000 (EST)
From: Ivan Teliatnikov <DESPAMMED>
To: seul-edu <DESPAMMED>

School of Geosciences University of Sydney.

All mission critical servers.

ftp, mail, www, ssh, oracle database - all running on linux.

On 27 Aug 2002, Samuel Hart wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 01:12, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > Quoting Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
> > > Eventually I hope to make this a useful resource for anyone
> > > trying to convince their local university that Linux should be
> > > (a) supported by their IT staff,
> >
> > Few Universities do this, which honestly, I think is fine so long as they
> > do not actively oppose Linux or require proprietary software to access
> > certain resources.  Fortunately most universities have LUGs to help
> > people along.
>
> Actually, we at the University of Arizona Physics Dept. support it. In
> fact, we prefer it... and from what I hear, many other depts in our
> University do as well.
>
> > > (b) used for infrastructure,
> >
> > I've worked for two university IT departments -- both of which used Linux
> > extensively.  I think you'll find that this is more of the standard than
> > the exception.
>
> I agree. In the Physics Dept. here we have most of our infrastructure
> systems running Linux. There is one ailing NT box, an ailing True64, and
> another ailing Solaris... but all are on the chopping block to be
> replaced by Linux when we get time enough to devote to them ;-)
>
> > > (c) used as part of the undergraduate cirriculum,
> >
> > Again, *nix has typically dominated computer science departments, well,
> > forever.  Linux has become a much cheaper replacement to proprietary
> > systems and as such is again, becoming the standard.
>
> While I can't say much for our comp.sci dept, we in Physics use it for
> all of our programming courses. Granted, the users typically SSH into
> these Linux machines from a Win2k desktop... but they are doing all of
> their work on the Linux boxen.

Ivan Teliatnikov

phone: +61 2 9351 2031
fax: +61 2 9351 0184
mobile_phone: +61 402 173 179
email: ivan at es.[UNIVERSITY-DOMAIN-DESPAMMED]

School of Geosciences
F05 - Edgeworth David Building
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia