[plug] Weird DHCP problems with Iinet ADSL

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Aug 30 18:34:06 WST 2002

G'day Plug,

A couple of days ago, we got our ADSL line installed.  The modem has a
built-in PPPoE client and assigns our gateway box its IP (e.g. 203.217.4.66)
by DHCP on eth1.  The gateway box assigns 10.0.1.x IPs to the our machines
at home by DHCP, and does the usual iptables NAT stuff. Everything seemed to
be working well, until today when we lost our connection, the DHCP lease
expired, and the modem reconnected. However, the gateway box didn't assign
eth1 its new settings, and removed the default route.

The logs seem to show that nothing is amiss with DHCP, but to be able to
access the internet again, I must manually ifdown eth1; ifup eth1.  I have
limited experience with DHCP, but this doesn't seem quite right.

In case it helps, I have (temporarily) uploaded some log files and config
files to http://patrick.wattle.id.au/temp/ -
	/etc/network/interfaces
	/etc/pump.conf
	/var/log/daemon.log (excerpt from 12:24 through 12:26)
	/usr/local/bin/adsl_conn.sh (script set to run when IP changes)

On a semi-related matter, does anyone know a way of making pump a little
less verbose?  My /var/log/daemon.log for the last 3 days takes up 25mb,
while the previous week's logs are only 300kb!

CP.