[plug] Best motherboard / chip combo 4 linux?

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Mon Dec 2 08:36:59 WST 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 10:31, Craig Ringer wrote:
    > Can you suggest where I can read some current reviews on motherboards
    > for Linux?

    I don't really see them anymore. There's probably a good reason for
    that: I've never run into an incompatable one, not even old P100 boards.
There generally isn't any problem with older boards, the problem is with
newer boards

(snip)

    Intel, VIA and AMD chipsets should all be fine.
Wintel change their chipsets often; any one had luck with the i845g for
example?

    I've never had to pay attention to "linux-specific issues" on my boards
    when I upgrade, I just buy my pick of board.

That is generally lucky i remember a few (3) years ago when i bought a
brand new dell PIII with the intel 8280(camino) chipset.  It was a good
computer when i bought it.It seemed that Linux did not support that
chipset at the time. Now it is quite happily being a router here.

It is hard to have cutting edge technology and be a Linux user at the
same time. If you want something that works in Linux (99%) buy something
that is already a year old by that time the drivers will be written and
incorporated into the new kernel.

I think what Daniel is trying to ask is: What is the best choice for a
mainboard for a Linux power user?

Regards

--
Scott Middleton
Member Society of Linux Professionals (WA)
scott at linuxit.com.au
ph  (08) 9331 8051
fax (08) 6210 1712

Stop being a Microserf and join the revolution of the Penguin.