[plug] vi/vim colour mode

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Tue Dec 3 00:03:27 WST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 21:44, Jon Miller wrote:

> Does anyone know how to change the colour of vi/vim from a black
> background with dark blue text to a light yellow background with black
> text?

In the Vim FAQ under SECTION 21 - SYNTAX HIGHLIGHT you should find the
information that you need. A URL to the Vim FAQ is as follows :-

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/vimfaq2html3.pl#21.1

Another tutorial on this can be found at :-

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~cduan/technical/vi/vi-4.html

You can either make a few changes to the vimrc file or import a whole
color scheme file. On a debian system I found a readme file in the
/usr/share/vim/vim61/colors/ directory that gave more information on
modifying the scheme files.

For colour samples and to see what works together best try :-

http://www.fugal.net/vim/rgbtxt.html

> Also where can i save the settings for vi/vim? .viminfo?

Personal settings are stored in .vimrc in the users home directory
otherwise global settings are taken from /etc/vim/vimrc

> Thanks

Michael Hunt