[plug] New virus?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Dec 6 12:53:53 WST 2002

> ACPartE-F[1].pif        audio/x-wav                  (huge)

v.strange ; PIF files are windows 3.11 ickyness, somewhat like a win32
".lnk" file but even uglier and clumsier, + were only used for providing
info to windows about execution parameters for a program. They're common
virus vectors, but how could one be that large?

I have noticed a lot of viri with a PIF file and IFRAME exploit coming
in on our link recently. Of course they all use randomized file names
now so I can't easily check if the ones I'm seeing are related, there
are lots of viri that use PIF files.

Ha - the day one gets past my generalized "block .exe .pif .bat .scr
.vbs .js .com .dll .386" rule, I'll be surprised. Most of our users are
too stupid to unpack a ZIP file ;-)

--
Craig Ringer
	-- if it ain't broke, add features 'till it is. (or:)