[plug] memory

Michael quadfour at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 6 14:30:48 WST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 13:17, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Some more info:
>
> Just for a ballpark comparison, my X server is using 3.8 % of my RAM, or
> about 9.5M on a 256M machine. Can't tell you off the top of my head what
> the one at home uses but I think its closer to 20mb (NVidia driver) on a
> 512M machine.
>
> Either way, a 200mb X server is /silly/ and means something is leaking,
> either in the X server or via Xshm allocations etc - its usually the
> latter.
>
> Running various apps alone and trying to determine which causes the
> problem can be useful.
>
> BTW that X server RAM usage was with nothing serious running except Mozilla.

Thanks for the quick reply. A top after X crashed reveals X is using
5.8%, evolution 3.9%, and nautilus 3.9%.

Currently, Pan, Evolution, XMMS, MGT and nautilus are running and free
reports:

             total       used       free     shared    buffers    cached
Mem:        386596     262600     123996          0      12764    133944
-/+ buffers/cache:     115892     270704
Swap:       232932      28028     204904

I notice that memory usage rises considerably with Galeon and Glimmer
running. I'll monitor it over the next 10 mins...

Galeon seems to be ok when its not busy browsing.
Glimmer seems ok too.

I'll use Galeon, sending it around the web for a few mins...

X is now using 13.7%, Galeon 7.7%

After closing Galeon, X went to 10.7%. Maybe Galeon is just hopeless
with memory :(

Mick.