[plug] Second Samba server joining a Samba controlled domain

Chris Caston caston at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 6 21:11:18 WST 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 20:56, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > Would it be the same as NT and using security = domain etc etc..  or is
> > their a nasty hack?
>
> While samba doesn't support acting as a BDC, I think it'll happily talk
> to a samba PDC for authentication using security=domain

One thing I was wondering if you have a mixed environment of Windows
machines and Debian boxes and the Windows machines authenticate against
the Samba DC.Is it possible to also have the Debian machines
authenticate against the Samba DC instead of logging in locally?

I've heard that you can put a '*' in /etc/shadow instead of the password
and PAM will see that and next try to authenticate against the Samba box
instead. I have never tried it and have no idea if it will work but I do
get the feeling that it wouldn't be that easy.

thanks,

Chris