[plug] [OT] IDSL question

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Fri Dec 6 22:37:09 WST 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 13:55, Russ Pitman wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 05:23:10PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:

> > Is this stuff available here?

No looks like North America only.

> > Sounds like a good choice to avoid per session dial-up charges if you
> > want broadband but are to far from the exchange.
> >
> > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk13/tk175/tk349/tech_protocol_home.html

> That sounds like DoV to me which is what I am running, AKA Home Highway.

No it is different. According to the above web page :-

Q. Does IDSL support voice?

        A. No. IDSL carries only data. IDSL is connected to a DSLAM,
        unlike an ISDN circuit which is connected to a voice switch.

So basically a permanent data connection that doesn't connect to the
normal switched voice network. Rather it is connected to the data
network and seems to me a cheap mans broadband where there are problems
with distance. (IDSL seems to me to be able to do 5 - 6 kms)

This will never come to Oz while Telstra are in charge.

> 128K is barely broadband but better than a 56k dialup.

Dialup is the tap giving a gentle trickle. 128k is the tap turned on
slightly more giving you a resonable amout of flow.

True Broadband is basically analgous to a firehose turned on full bore
!!!

> Ask Jeremy about it.
>
> 	<jeremy at malcolm.wattle.id.au>
>
> Cheers.