[plug] M$ justification

Peter J. Nicol peternicol at vrl.com.au
Sat Dec 7 16:30:03 WST 2002

These reports are nearly always 'accurate', he question is whether they are
'relevant' to the vast majority of situations.

One needs to question at least two things, viz:

1.	The report's assumptions
2.	To what sort of enterprise do they apply

If you are a SME with sales in the $15M - $50M mark, your IT needs are
vastly different to the fabled 'Fortune 500' companies with sales in the
$billions.

I for one, laugh at this report, and fail to see how it could possibly be
true, but this is most likely the prejudice of my experience.  There is no
way that in the setups that I have seen, Linux is more expensive, including
TCO than Windows.  But, the bigger the gig, the more likely some of the
features of Windows (and Novell) are likely to result in savings (group
policies and such).

So, to understand the report, it needs to be seen in context.