[plug] fstab, windoze partition entries

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Dec 9 10:27:13 WST 2002

> >I want my FAT32 partitions automatically mounted
> >at boot time, with everyone having unlimited read/write access.
> They'll be
> >put under /mnt/c etc, can someone please give me the best line to
> whack in
> >the fstab for this job?

> /dev/hda1 /mnt/c vfat defaults,umask=0 0 0

*shudder* or if at all possible maybe you could amend that to:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/c vfat defaults,umask=002,gid=2000 0 0

where gid 2000 is the group ID of the "fat32users" group you'd create
and add everybody to who should have write access to the volume. Sure,
its not guaranteed automatic 'everybody' but there's a lot less
screaming heebejeebies involved too.