[plug] text processing

Sol sol at autonomon.net
Mon Dec 9 17:39:23 WST 2002

Subject: Re: [plug] text processing
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:38:18 +0800
From: Sol <sol at autonomon.net>
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Thanks for your replies Ryan and Graham,<br>
I've tried both out with no luck yet. Here's a what I did and what went
 wrong:<br>
 -----------------------------------------------------------------<br> #First
 with Ryan's tip<br>
#!/bin/sh<br>
DOC_DIR=/home/sol/bswa_publications/DOC/<br>
HTML_DIR=/home/sol/bswa_publications/HTML/<br>
for FILE in `ls ${DOC_DIR}`<br>
do<br>
    wvText  ${FILE} | txt2html >
 ${HTML_DIR}${FILE}<br> done<br>
## What I got here was a bunch of files in ../HTML/ with exactly the same
names as in ../DOC/. They contained the bare minimum amount of HTML elements
and none of the text like this:<br>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN"><br>
<HTML><br>
<HEAD><br>
<TITLE></TITLE><br>
<META NAME="generator" CONTENT="txt2html v1.28"><br>
</HEAD><br>
<BODY><br>
<P><br>
Usage: /usr/bin/wvText &lt;word document&gt; &lt;text output
file&gt;<br>
</BODY><br>
</HTML><br>
I've tried doing "wvText < ${FILE}" which gives me a different error but
passed no files so I guess that's a backward step.<br>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
#Now Graham's<br>
#!/bin/ksh<br>
for $file in $(/home/sol/bswa_publications/DOC/*doc)<br>
do<br>
    $file_out=${$file%doc}html<br>
    wvText < /home/sol/bswa_publications/DOC.$file |
 txt2html > /home/sol/bswa_publications/$file_out<br> done<br>
##I got the error<br>
DOCtoHTML.ksh: `$file': not a valid identifier<br>
I don't know any ksh at all so I don't even know which $file is causing the
problem.<br>
-----------------------------------------------------------<br>
It's interesting to see different solutions for the same simple problem.
Ta.<br>
sol<br>
Graham, Alan A. wrote:<br>
 cite="mid41D499B16A81D4118D2500805F0DD05C084E5AE0 at perm03.woodside.com.au">
  <pre wrap="">!#/bin/ksh
# I can't test this cos I'm on an NT box :-(
# I know korn shell, but I understand bash can run ksh scripts
#

for $file in $(ls ../docs/*doc)
do
	$file_out=${$file%doc}html
	wvText < ../docs.$file | txt2html > ../html/$file_out
done

I can't remember if the output from straight ls looks like ../doc/one.doc or
just one.doc.  The code assumes one.doc.  And I say again, I can't test this
goes I don't have access to a real OS at this site.

Alan

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">-----Original Message-----