[plug] User authentication

Chris Caston caston at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 12 13:14:35 WST 2002

Tim,

I can't give you the ultimately useful reply (TM) right now but at the
moment at the HQ youth center we have a Samba DC and a mix of Debian and
Windows clients.

Currently the Windows clients are authenticated by the Samba server by
the Debian machines log in locally.

We talked about changing this at the last meeting we had on Tuesday. One
option is to install libpam-smb and libpam-smbpass and have the machines
auth by the Samba server just like the Windows machines .

The option we are looking at right now is using out contact management
SQL database to backend an openLDAP implemented and have some kinda
authentication mechanism working off that,

I can't give you the details at the moment because I'm not the one
working on it. But if you stay in contact with me I can show how things
are coming along and perhaps even demonstrate the implementation once
it's finished.

regards,

Chris Caston