[plug] On the subject of undelete

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Dec 14 09:56:26 WST 2002

> I have seemed to have wiped the contents of my re-writable CD, in a
> moment of
> madness, does anyone know of a method I can restore it?  The medium
> will not
> mount not even via the shell?

Well, if you did a full wipe the data is just /gone/. If you did a
"quick wipe" the data is still present on the CD but the ToC information
etc has been wiped. Unfortunately, I don't think CD-ROMs will read from
CDs w/o that info - I guess its possible to 'dd if=/dev/cdrom
of=/tmp/cddump' and see but I'd expect it to fail with an I/O error.

In other words CDs are even less friendly to data recovery than HDDs, at
least AFAIK.

Craig Ringer