[plug] NFS mounts over DSL

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Wed Dec 18 14:27:53 WST 2002

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, quoth Peter J. Nicol:

> Does anyone have experience with NFS mounts over a DSL connection, say,
> 1500/256 on each end?

I've just (as in yesterday) set up a bunch of samba shares (samba one end,
smbfs the other) for a customer, between work & home - with the home linux
box then re-exporting those directories to his windows box via samba.
It works a lot better than I thought it would.  I chose to use samba over
nfs because (a) the work end was already set up that way and (b) in my
experience smbfs seems to handle the 'server has gone away' better than
NFS does

256/64 ADSL at both ends, so he's restricted to 8kB/s but he's happy with
the ~20sec delay he gets when loading his ~160kB office documents

 - Matt