[plug] Linux compatiible inkjet printers

Dave Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Thu Dec 19 17:57:40 WST 2002

Craig Ringer wrote:

 >> The only thing I can say is avoid lexmark :(

Will do!

 > oh, and CONSIDER THE PRICE OF INK. Bastards. From what I've heard,
 > Canon printers are designed to be destroyed by refilled cartridges
 > (special ciruitry the only purpose of which is to fry when inked,
 > warranty makes a specific exception for that part), and Epson claims
 > that "non-epson ink will damage your printer". Hmm. Probably will -
 > wonder how long it took their engineers to come up with a way to do it?
 >
 > If anybody knows of an inkjet manufacturer who is not in on the
 > cartridge scam, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Thanks Craig,

New Reality (Queensland), where I've been getting my Epson 740
cartridges for the last three years, advise buying a Canon 520 or
better. They say that the transparent cartridges (one for eaxch colour)
are easy to refill and last a long time, hence pretty cheap. I'm not
sure about drivers for Linux tho'.

I'll advise (off list if noone else is interested) how I get on. Further
research needed!

That was an interesting comment from Leon B re his mate in the US buying
colour printers on special just for the cartridges... and the
manufacturer's response.

regards
Dave Dartnall