[plug] Xmas and Debian 3.0r1 and XBox

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Sat Dec 21 12:08:05 WST 2002

Political Correctness can get way stupid sometimes
Ya know (further and further OT), I had a conversation with someone the
otherday at uni who suggested that the guild shouldn't 'do' christmas
because
it was 'offensive to muslims'.

I gotta admit I was flabergasted. Not by the apparent paradox of the 'well
meaningness'
of the comment, but how barkingly uninformed it was.

I lived with a muslim guy for over a year. The guy drank beer (Ok , he
actually wasn't supposed to),
had a muslim gf that didn't wear a veil,because muslims don't have to(!),
and relevant to the topic,
took christmas rather seriously.

Few people realise that many muslims venerate JC as the 'second most'
important prophet, and as
the messiah. Consequently muslims...................celebrate christmas.

Yet everyday I see people foaming at the mouth over whether or not to tone
back the religious imagery
in christmass to not offend the minorities. But funnily enough, I cant think
of any minorities that
get offended by it.

I tend to think people need to relax abit and stop thinkin the world needs
to be so damn confrontational.