[plug] VMware shenanigans

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Dec 23 14:52:16 WST 2002

After running a separate NT workstation for MYOB for a number of years,
I successfully moved the drive to my Debian workstation and using VMware
was happily running MYOB in a window.

Now I've moved my Debian workstation to a machine that only has space
for one HDD, and thus the NT drive sits in an external firewire case.

While I can mount the drive, copy its content, and play, I cannot
actually run VMware, pointing it at the firewire drive anymore (either
as a raw IDE or a raw SCSI).

I think I need to create a VMware disk, mount the image as a loopback
device, and then blast the content of the drive to the mounted VMware
disk.

While I can run vmware-mount.pl, it doesn't actually work on VMware
.vmdk images (since I gather it was discontinued after v2.x)

I could re-build the NT machine, insert the drive, boot into DOS, run
GHOST, copy the resulting .gho file onto my Debian box, fire up VMware,
install DOS and networking, and GHOST the drive, I don't actually know
if VMware will allow me to GHOST boot sectors etc. on a VMware disk.

I suppose I could install WinNT from scratch into VMware, but the last
time I actually installed WinNT was six years ago, and I really don't
think I could stomach that again.

If you're still following me here at this stage :-), now for the
question(s)

Any better ideas out there? (Yes, I could dump MYOB, and I will as soon
as I find a replacement, but I still need to run the ATO's ECI software
:-(
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -
onno at itmaze.com.au