[plug] Slashdot Staroffice story

garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Mon Dec 23 17:59:40 WST 2002

I'm posting this to PLUG because I had trouble finding a Danish->English
translation. This might save someone the drama, and it's too bloody hot for
drama...

Garry

=======================

There is a story on /. concerning a story in DANISH about a school moving to
better software..

Seems the original poster might not have got the gist of it properly, so here
is a response note SOMEONE ELSE wrote on /.   ....

Said story url in Danish is at : http://www.jp.dk/itogc:aid=1585658/

==========================Start quote

I'm Danish, so let me sort out a bunch of misunderstandings about this:

UNI-C [uni-c.dk] is not "University of Copenhagen". It is a state-run
pseudo-company which offers IT/ networking facilities for the educational
sector. Amongst other things they host the Danish Internet eXchange (DIX
[www.dix.dk]") where ISPs can peer on neutral ground, and they offer a free
life-time email-address to all danish teachers.

There's not a word about Linux in this anywhere.

Sun has offered StarOffice at a hefty educational discount. UNI-C helps them
implement the scheme in a manner which saves Sun a lot of logistics.

There has been increasing focus on Open Source in Denmark recently, ignited
by a independent report [teknologiraadet.dk] which concluded that if the
political goals about using the Internet to improve the public sector are to
be fulfilled, one can do so $500M cheaper over the next 10 years using Open
Source than M$ software.

M$ is not happy about this, but their FUD doesn't seem to stick anymore.

A single Danish city-council, Hanstholm [hanstholm.dk], has taken a bold step
and switched to StarOffice, and they're getting a lot of positive attention.
(If you want to hear more about this, attend Nordu2003 [nordu.org])

Yes, I think this is all signs of a healty development :-)