[plug] Still ranting on about Linux compatible printers

Dave Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Tue Dec 24 12:17:01 WST 2002

  Thank you all for your help.
It wasn't until I followed up some of your leads and advice that I
realised how lucky I'd been with the Epson 740.
Compatible cartridges available from New Reality in Queensland (buy 3,
get one free) were cheap and worked better than the official models
(less cleaning etc on installation). but now, what with Epson having
'chipped' cartridges and other manufacturers making it harder for us to
deny them the profits they make from selling ink, the priorities here
have come down to running costs.
And it seems that a Canon S520 will with it's refillable individual
cartridges, may be the cheapest to run, and in the price range that I
had in mind.

So come on guys, does anyone have any experience / information to add in
relation to this printer?

linuxprinting doesn't mention the S520 but says the S500 and S600 " work
partially " in 600x600 dpi mode and do not support 'PJL'.

But maybe there's an update somewhere - this work's going on all the
time...? And what's PJL?

Happy Xmas (whatever you-all call it) to you all.

Dave Dartnall