[plug] Still ranting on about Linux compatible printers

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 25 23:01:10 WST 2002

I actually like canon printers - my 5 or so year old 720dpi bjc-620
still gives a nice printout.  However, I had to do some judicious source
editing of the gimp print drivers in cups to get it to work properly.

With experiance, I suggest getting a printer with separate ink tanks if
possible: savings can be considerable.  A point is that for normal home
use, all 4 tanks usually finish around the same time, but occaisionally
(kids favouring one colour for an assignment?) one will finish way out
of sync with the others.

Not sure if any printers are available like this now, as manufacturers
seem to like the proffits integrated ink tanks give!  Check the
consumable cost for cheap printers - they may not be so cheap after all!

BillK