[plug][still OT] Muslim Xmas

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 26 21:56:59 WST 2002

$0.02 below.....

Make lunch, not war.

>Yeah.
>The caveat with islam is that they *detest* "idolatry. Essentially
>iconism. So although for instance they have a pretty high place
>in the religeon for JC, they don't like the statues etc. Christmass
>celebration
>is fine, but the imagry kinda bugs em.
>
>The odd thing, is if you read the bible, it says precisely the same thing.
>Ten commandments;- No graven images.

The odd thing is, if you read the bible, Christmas is never mentioned,
neither is Easter, nor is there a call from Jesus or Jehovah (or Yahweh,
whichever translation you favour) to celebrate his birth or resurrection.
December the 25th is a noted pagan festival, from the Romans if I remember
correctly, but I'm sure a fellow plugger will correct me on that. ;) It was
also impossible for Jesus to be born on the 25th, as it was winter time, and
the shepherds wouldn't be out at that time of year, as common sense and
general tradition dictates.

Santa is from an old Germanic belief if I remember correctly (he's certainly
not mentioned in the bible), with there also being a 'Black Pete' as an
alternative for the bad kids (bwahahah!). The image of the cross is a Tammuz
related (I probably misspelled that name) symbol, a noted Babylonian,
trinitarian 'martyr', which many beliefs have stemmed from. Legend has it
that he slept with his mother and there was a father involved somewhere
along the line too, an interesting root that's been linked to most (if not
all) trinitarian beliefs, including those worshipped in ancient Egypt.

Interesting things of note are pagan symbols heavily involved in
Christendom's celebrations, the rabbit, mistletoe, and other evergreen
plants (pine trees in our culture), all of which are fertility symbols.

Most of the reasons why the Organisation of Bible Students (now called
Jehovah's Witnesses) has nothing to do with these celebrations.