[plug] [link] Microsoft backstabbing turns 'phone to demi-OSS rival platform

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Dec 27 09:04:24 WST 2002

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6905

    Sendo has taken the world's largest software house, Microsoft, to
    court in Texas [...]

    [...] after years of working closely with Microsoft on the
    development of Windows Smartphone 2002, the fruits of their
    endeavours were handed straight over to HTC, which manufactures the
    SPV handset for Orange.

    [...]

    Sendo's immediate reaction was to stop work on the Z100 and announce
    that it would licence the rival, Symbian based, Series 60 platform
    from Nokia. [...]

    When Sendo announced it was to receive funding from Microsoft, I
    [Mike Magee] and some other British journalists asked Sendo's Hugh
    Brogan at the press briefing, in the London Waldorf, whether he
    wasn't afraid that the company might just take its information and
    then dump his firm. He claimed then there was no possibility of that.
    We asked this question because Microsoft had been accused of doing a
    similar thing with pen computers.

My take on this:

   `Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots? then may
    ye also do good, that are accustomed to do evil.' (Jeremiah 13:23)

Cheers; Leon