[plug] [OT+link] Feeling secure? Want to stay that way? Then don't read this.

Russell russells at plug.linux.org.au
Fri Dec 27 10:40:07 WST 2002

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 02:17:55AM -0000, sscott at iinet.net.au wrote:
> The absolute truth is that I would prefer that 100 terrorists were killed
> or tortured to my family suffering any harm whatsoever. I dont even mind
> if some of them are wrongly accused.
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Freedom has its limits. You want to fly planes into large buildings, or
> bomb a night club full of drunk Aussies, then I think perhaps you have
> defaulted your rights to protection under the 'rules'. If youre nice and
> peaceful and good to your fellow man, then you have nothing to fear.

Do you see the contradiction here?  This is the the reason we have
this thing called due process.  It should be extended to everyone.

This is not war, despite the "war on terrorism" tag.  It's revenge.
Yes, the events on 11/9/2001 were terrible, but the fix is even more
terrible.

BTW, I don't believe you'd feel the same way if you or your family
were wrongly accused.