[plug][megasuper OT] A JW non Xmas

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Fri Dec 27 12:19:20 WST 2002

I gotta tell ya Leon, even tho I'm an avowed athiest, I've got alot of
respect for the JW's.

* There avowed pacifits. Unlike some of the other bible-literalist
christain groups, these guys put there money where there mouth is and
actually refuse to go to war. Bravo.
* The JW's dont do government. That means that there is no chance of a
JW as president losing the plot and deciding to expediate 'the second
coming' via a big fat nuclear bomb. GWB also believes in Revelations, and
he *does* have his finger on the button. Godhelp us all.
* The JW's , while still creationists, have a far more plausable take
on it that doesnt invole crazy perversions of the 2nd law of thermo (A
physics PHD friendof mine pointed out the creation science foundations
rather unique misreading ofthe second law actually makes sense... ifyour
drunk.), by pointing out the original hebrew text didn't refer to the
world being created in six days, rather six 'periods of time', thus being
much more accomodating for geological time etc.... A bit easier to cope
with.
* The JW's don't 'do' hell. And thank GOD for that. As far as I am aware,
144000 dudes get to go to space(cool) to hang out in heaven, most of the
rest get to hang out on earth, which is real nice now and , like ,lions hang
out with sheep and stuff. Importantly, bad guys stay dead thus
eliminating that nonsense about a loving god damning his people to everlasting
horror.

I DO have a big gripe with the blood law, even tho in the New testament,
JC eliminates 'food' rules , the JW's seem to have held onto it
translating it to blood transfusions, and I must ask, whatever happened to
that prophecy of the world ending within one generation of 1914... Time
seems to of run pretty tight on that one.

But either way, I've never met a JW I havent liked. Friendly enough folk
in ned flanders sort of way....  I remember a JW friend telling me they
don't need to christmass cause everydays a party when your christain.
Wheeee!

Shayne