[plug] Debian Woody -- installing Gnome

Sol sol at autonomon.net
Fri Dec 27 15:34:51 WST 2002

Well I must confess I'm running out of ideas.
Try this: 1) apt-get clean
	  2) apt-get get update  #if it won't update the source either the server is
out or too busy OR there's a space or some sort of syntax error in the URL
	3)If update is successful, try using the dselect interface. I'll digress to
explain my point here. Just recently I wanted to check out something that
required mysql so I did: dpkg -l mysql* # to check that it was there, then:
apt-get install mysql. apt-get couldn't find the package. So I went into
dselect and installed the components that I needed to make it work
(mysql-server, mysql-common, mysql-client) and dselect suggested any
dependencies that were needed. So try dselect, search (use the forward slash)
for gnome2 and gdm2, and see what happens.
(On another digression, I recently upgraded from kde2.2 to kde3 on a woody box
by doing this: "apt-get install kit". Now I don't even use kit, I just knew
that once the sources were updated, installing kit would drag in all the kde3
dependencies, thereby installing kde3 in order to install a single kde3
package. Maybe something similar will work installing gnome2??)

Apart from that you might need help from someone a little smarter than me.

regards,
sol