[plug] [OT+link] Feeling secure? Want to stay that way? Then don't read this.

Hook hooker at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 27 16:30:03 WST 2002

From: <sscott at iinet.net.au>
> Do you reckon my grandfather, or several people I have known over the
> years, went to WW2/vietnam/korea to be nice guys? War is war. They went,
> killed a lot of people, suffered enormously, and those that are still
> breathing are still suffering (like my mate who wakes up screaming nearly
> every night post-vietnam). And theyd do it again. They did it so people
> like ourselves can sit chatting aimlessly on a mail list about things we
> cant comprehend. They paid the price for our freedom.

Vietnam wasn't about freedom, it was US paranoia about communism. It was
arrogant, badly run, cost thousands of US and civilian lives, and, in the
end the US got soundly beaten.

> The absolute truth is that I would prefer that 100 terrorists were killed
> or tortured to my family suffering any harm whatsoever. I dont even mind
> if some of them are wrongly accused.

Sorry, I find that a terrible view. If you're one of the "wrongly accused"
who gets tortured, would you feel as good? If your kids were treated that
way, would you?

> woaah. Way off. Do you think Linux would flourish in a world run by
> terrorists? They are *protecting* your freedoms, including the freedom to
> develop linux.

In a world run by *any* group which doesn't allow specific styles of
thought, life is considerably less comfortable. Terrorists, the Inquisition
(way back when), even MickeySoft to a lesser extent.

The Hooker