[plug] poll, linmag

Peter J. Nicol PeterNicol at vrl.com.au
Sun Dec 29 04:05:22 WST 2002

>  G'day all!
>
>  Could we get everyone (who's willing) to fill in the (extremely
>  quick) poll
>  at linmagau.org? We just need general opinion of the people,
>  then for the
>  other LUGs....
>
>  http://www.linmagau.org/poll/vote.php

I have been thinking about this for a while. Mainly about the Linux section
in APC magazine.  These guys used to put out a title, I think called
"Corporate IT".  It was grouse.  Had all the latest patches.  I mean, for
HPUX, Solaris, AIX, Netware, Linux, YouNameIt on the CD on the front cover.
Loved it.  Disappeared.  Can only think it lost money.

So, back to the Linux section of APC.  I think these guys know where the
money is.  At least, they can afford Market Research.  I am thinking, the
minute that they get the report:  "Linux Mag Now A Goer - APC Internal
Market Research", out it will come.  I am thinking that their MR says that
the Linux market can afford a few pages in their current mag, and that
advertisers will pay for that space.  Maybe cos a lot of non-linux people
will read the ads anyway, cos they buy the mag and will flick thru the Linux
(and Mac etc) sections out of (dis)interest.

So what does this mean for LinMagAU or whatever it is to be called?

1.	It's going to be hard to get advertisers at this stage.  See 2.
2.	It's going to be hard to get readers at this stage.
3.	As soon as it looks like there is a market for it, entrenched players are
going to come in and try to squash you.

So, this is the game as I see it.  I will write (or preferably edit) the odd
article, but it is going to be a terribly hard slog.

This is a lot different to other Free/Open Source kind of doings.  It
actually will cost Real Money, as opposed to time.

More than lots of articles, I would prefer to see a Business Plan worked
out.  Release Early, Release Often, that was the mantra*.  Can't see a draft
plan on the linmagau.org site.

So, is there a Business Plan?  Are there any Accountants, Lawyers, Managers,
Company Directors, Angel Investors or Venture Capitalists on this list who
can help out?  Anyone know anyone?

I am happy to put a bit o' effort into the Business Plan, as I think it is
more likely to lead to a successful magazine than a bunch of randomish
articles.

*http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s
04.html