[plug] Older PCs can't handle broadband

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Sun Dec 29 12:46:39 WST 2002

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Arie Hol wrote:

> An item of interest for people with older PC's who are considering the
> change to Broadband.

Careful there Arie, your subject line is quite wrong. This is a USB
problem only. I think most Linux users would use ethernet modems anyway,
for cable and ADSL.
  It the same issue with win-modems in slow PCs - a real modem fixes the
problem.
  Anyway, older PCs dont have USB ports :-)

> "Low-power chipsets incompatible with some USB modems"

yes, but ...

> 'People who bought their computer more than two years ago could find that it
> is unable to cope with broadband.'

that is utter bollocks.

--
    One seldom sees a monument to a committee.