[plug] Emacs question

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Sun Dec 29 15:33:29 WST 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 10:36:23PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone found a way to edit remote files using ssh in a local emacs
> instance? Kindof like the FTP wrapper stuff except with sftp (or ssh, or
> something.)

This was asked a while ago, I know, but I've just discovered the answer
to your question, having a similar need myself:

  http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/tramp/

TRAMP means `Transparent Remote (file) Access, Multiple Protocol', and
can use rsh/rcp or ssh/scp.

Or:

  # apt-get install tramp

:)

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
You can write a small letter to Grandma in the filename.
		-- Forbes Burkowski, CS, University of Washington