[plug] Lycoris Desktop available

Chris Caston caston at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 30 00:14:55 WST 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 23:28, Arie Hol wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> The latest edition of "PC User" has a CD which contains a free copy of
> Lycoris Desktop/LX.
>
> The bootable CD contains approximately 511 Mb of installation files and
> apparently only needs about 1Gb of HDD space.
>
> Does anybody know any thing about Lycoris, I would be interested in
> receiving some feedback about it.

Lycoris is a easy to use desktop distro. It is RPM based and exclusively
uses KDE. The default theme looks very similar to Windows XP.
In fact it was previously called Redmond Linux.

I would recommend installing it on beefy hardware as the visual themes
tend to slow things down (but you can also turn these off in KDE control
center)

I think that theres also integrated access of Windows shares in Lycoris
and you can probably do many smb type things easily in it like you can
in Windows.

Lycoris was also given on out in the October issue of APC.

I assume it has been somewhat improved since then and also includes AA
fonts.

Their business model is similar to that of Lindows and Xandros in that
they try to sell the source code and 60 days e-mail support with the
Deluxe edition.

I of course have never used it but have thought about installing it for
a customer (with only basic computer skills) so they could dual
boot.They were actually quite interested from what I had told them about
open source software.

I haven't installed it for them yet simply because I haven't tried it
out myself. It would be nice if it used debs instead of RPM's but if you
want that then theres Xandros with is another story.

regards,

Chris Caston