[plug] Call for linmag Content! - saving $5k

Shayne shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Dec 30 07:41:30 WST 2002

Hmm I could rewrite my "The $70 webserver" rant I did for the student guilds
alternative handbook, on how the guild serves 20+ pcs/macs from a recycled
p200+96meg  (actually p233 underclocked for stability.. quirky motherboard at
233)  with webserver getting at peak 60 visits an hour, aprox 90-100 emails
an hour, 13 highly active email lists, a (currently silent) chatline, samba ,
netatalk, a now silent mush server, a graphic designer with an unfortunate
habit of running photoshops scratch off the network share (grrr), a guild
president with a 70meg inbox (I won't let him use IMAP and he wont let me put
him on POP, so it's PINE all the way.. go figure our agendas here!). and a
sysadmin(me) with a chronic case of the blinkenlight fiddlies. The $70 price
came from what we would of paid if we bought the second hand bits. The price
is a little more now since we added a 80gig drive. Must confess tho that the
machine is starting, as one person put it recently, to "have its arse hang
out somewhat". It's been a stunning example of freakishly good value over the
year, tho perhaps its time for an upgrade!.