[plug] Debian

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon Dec 30 12:07:21 WST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 11:22, Chris Caston wrote:

> James,
>
> Stable is up to Debian 3.0 Rev 1
>
> There have been over 300 updates since the release of Rev 0. ~ 70 of
> them have been security updates.
>
> When installing your system the latest package information will be
> download from the apt sources your specify. (You will need to be
> connected to the Internet via PPP or ethernet or it will just get the
> ones from your CD's - It's good to have both)
>

> Thankfully the Debian install allows you to setup a PPP connection.
>
> If your system is already installed simply type: apt-get update
>
> from root to update your package information
>
> Type: apt-get -u upgrade
>
> which download any updates your need and then install them
>

> I hope this helps.
>
> Of course accept my apologies if you already knew this stuff (;
>
> regards,
>
> Chris Caston

James,

What Chris says here is good. Your version of Debian on CD is current
enough to install from and then update using a net connection. Depending
on how many packages you install/speed of your connection this could
take maybe a couple of hours but YMMV. If you use a WAIX connected ISP
then add the following lines to your sources.list file.

deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian/ woody main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib
non-free