Chris Castons Re: [plug] Debian

Chris Caston caston at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 31 11:50:34 WST 2002

Well.Its still not working something to do with /dev/sg and the sg
driver. I'll let you know if I get it to work.

BTW I got the following about ATAPI support in the 2.5 kernel from the
cdrtools 2.0 README.ATAPI file:

-	Linux (unfortunately not in the default configuration)

	-	It works more or less if you include ide-scsi

	-	Linux-2.4.xx includes a CDROM Packet interface in the
		IDE CD driver. For this driver libscg now includes
		support in pre-alpha status. Use cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
		to check for drives and e.g. cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0 ....
		for writing. Note that this interface is not integrated into
		the standard libscg device naming scheme. Support for
		this interface has been included because it is the only
		way to use a PCCARD/PCMCIA writer - trying to use ide-scsi
		on a PCATA interface will cause a Linux kernel panic
		or will block all ATAPI drives.

	-	Starting with Linux-2.5.45, there is a new experimental
		ATAPI interface initiated by Linus Torvalds. Unfortunately,
		this interface does not fit well into the rest of the Linux
		SCSI kernel transport naming scheme. Cdrecord allows to
		use this interface by calling e.g. cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc ...
		but it is not officially supported until it has been
		integrated into the dev=bus,target,lun nming scheme.

	All Linux ATAPI transport implementations do not support DMA.
	Current execptions are:

	-	ide-scsi with block size 2048 and if DMA has been enabled

	-	The new experimental ATAPI interface starting with Linux-2.5.45
		allows DMA if DMA has been enabled and the sector size is a
		multiple of 4. This allows to use DMA for audio CDs and
		when writing any type of CD in RAW mode.

	RAW mode is needed for many new and cheap drives that have bugs when
	writing in cooked mode. If there is no DMA, you cannot write faster
	than approx 16x.