[plug] [OT] When to celebrate New Year

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Dec 31 19:47:18 WST 2002

Phrrk, phrrk, is this thing on? (-: First test of the official OT system? :-)

The ancient Egyptians celebrated New Year when the Nile flooded, typically in
late September. The Babylonians chose a day in Spring (our Autumn). The
Romans started the year on the 1st of March (Calends) until Julius Caesar's
calendar adjustments. The Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) doesn't exactly
track ours, and the Muslim New Year has a lunar basis (although some variants
stick to 21 March). Hindus celebrate it at a variety of times (including 1
January, and October (Diwali). Vietnam starts their year between late January
and late February, not too different from the Chinese New Year (which takes
15 days to implement).

So... many opportunities for celebrating the New Year just in that lot (Adrian
will be pleased!). However, we're not done yet: there's a chance to triple
your partying. We change days at midnight; Biblical cultures originally
changed at sunset as per the evenings and mornings of Genesis 1, this can
still be seen in New Testament times; solar cults change their days at
sunrise... but wait! We're Unix freaks, we can also clock over days at
midnight but in the GMT/UTC timezone. (-:

So... sunset, midnight, sunrise, 8AM times 9 different days (23 if you count
each day of Chinese New Year separately) equals either 36 or 92 parties per
annum. I'm surprised that grog shops haven't cottoned on to this yet. (-:

Cheers; Leon