[plug] plip windows 98 <-> linux

Peter Wright pete at akira.apana.org.au
Mon Feb 4 12:17:05 WST 2002

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:46:12AM +0800, Andrew Pamment wrote:
> hi,

Hi. :)

> my flat mate has a laptop the we would like to add to our network. He
> cant afford a pcmcia ethernet card, and we have a laplink cable. I was
> wondering if it's possible to use that as another network device, then
> somehow route stuff between the laplink and my ethernet card and ppp
> connection. i don't know a lot about networking, but i understand you
> can use plip? problem is he has win98 and well, i don't think linux is
> for him in this lifetime. is it possible? and if so can someone point me
> in the direction of some info on it?

I don't think any Windows can handle PLIP. But you _should_ be able to set
up a serial link between his machine and one of your machines, no problem
(ie. essentially you'd be providing a PPP network interface to his machine,
which would behave just like it had a rather fast dialup connection).
115200bps, twice as fast as the fastest modem link - certainly quite
tolerable for browsing via your dialup 'net connection, and even quite
tolerable for playing most network games such as Quake3.

Not too great for transferring really big files though. Well, you could do
it, it'd just take a lot of patience :).

Go buy a reasonably lengthy null modem cable (I presume you should just be
able to walk into any random electronics store and say "I want a null modem
cable *this* long") and read the PPP HOWTO.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/index.html

Actually, maybe you should read the PPP HOWTO first. :)

> thanks
> andrew

Pete.
--
http://akira.apana.org.au/~pete/
Real programmers don't draw flowcharts.  Flowcharts are, after all, the