[plug] go to previous directory

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Feb 4 13:35:58 WST 2002

craig at postnewspapers.com.au wrote:

>> ? how do I undelete a file
>>
> You don't. Not the same way you can in Windows and MacOS with 3rd party
> tools like Norton. (3rd party *nix tools may do it but I don't think so).

Actually, there is a handy little tool called "recover" which does do a
similar thing. Like DOS unerase type tools, your chance to recover is
slim if something's overwritten the data physically, but this little
tool has saved my ass (and megs of files too), where I've accidentally
deleted a ton of files, and need to restore them quickly.

(It usually happens when I try to rm all files in another directory
starting with particular text, where there's only one match, and I'm
using Tab completion. eg; rm /tmp/fooTAB *   - oops! Deleted everything
in the current dir too. ^_^;;;)

There's even a GUI or two to wrap around recover, although I haven't
tried any yet...

: CWIS Systems Administrator     -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :