[plug] fs preferences

Bernard bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Feb 5 10:59:09 WST 2002

Plug,

I plan to convert a server from the dying RH6.0 which is a pain to
maintain, to Debian Woody. I'm looking to use XFS on top of LVM,
as XFS seems to be proven stable and reliable and compatible with
NFS (ReiserFS needs patches I've read). Having read the LVM howto,
it is not entirely clear if all partitions can be created under LVM?

Are there any catch-me-outs, like needing a non-LVM root partition
or the like? Or could anybody persuade me against XFS to ReiserFS or
ext3? ext3 though claimed stable by some is still "EXPERIMENTAL" in
2.4.17. Does one lose any advantages in having a journalling file
system by using LVM?

And could somebody please clarify/confirm - XFS can grow partitions
if there is unused space after the end of the XFS partition for it
to grown into. I gather that with LVM it doesn't matter as to the
XFS filesystem the extra space will appear to come after it though
physically it could be anywhere. Hence, if my squid cache partition
was eaten up, I could simply extend it from unallocated space
anywhere, no problems?

Thanks in advance,

Bernard.

--