OT: posting ettiquette, Was: Re: [plug] plip windows 98 <-> linux

Greg Mildenhall assassin at live.wasp.net.au
Tue Feb 5 13:20:08 WST 2002

On 5 Feb 2002, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Obviously a typo - top-posting rules.

No. There is no case to be made for top-posting at all.
If you are including part of the previous message in your message, it is
because you are replying to it. If you are replying to it, you need to
write your reply underneath so that the context of your reply is clear.
If you do not need the context, then you should not be including it.
Either way, you do not top-post.

> I (and any number of others) use a 3 window view - if no interesting
> text is in view and I have to scroll down

That is an excellent argument for trimming your quotations.
It is not applicable in defense of top-posting.

> Not sure how those archaic text mail clients do it, you may be locked
> into bottom-posting?

No. We are locked into bottom-posting by common courtesy, and the desire
for our posts to be understood.

> So if you want your words read ...

 ... Trim your quotes.

-Greg