[plug] quakefest

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Feb 5 14:48:29 WST 2002

> organise one.. i could run a server of machine (1.8ghz) while playing
> hehehe unless someone else has a dedicated box ( i have a dual 100mhz id
*arrggh*
I know its pedantic but I can't help it.
DON'T JUST TALK Mhz! Please!

Ever heard the phrase "Mhz Marketing"? Intel's friend...
1.8GHz what? If its an Athlon 4 I think AMD would like to have a "chat"
to you... as would several governments. OTOH if its a P4... oh well.
*big* difference. Its obvious in this case, but when people say "GHz
computer!!" it screams "crappy marketing ripoff, its a celeron". Either
that or "I don't know what I'm talking about and think that processor
power is defined entirely by clock speed".
Not accusing you of that, mind you. You probably just can't be stuffed
writing P4, yes? However - if even technically literate people give in
to the MHz marketing crud, it'll never stop. It is because of that that
AMD recently went to the PR system like Cyrix used to use - because
people weren't recognising the importance of other factors in chip
power.