[plug] Introduction and Queries

Matthew Robinson matt at zensunni.org
Tue Feb 5 22:41:41 WST 2002

From: "Colin Muller" <colin at twobluedots.com.au> on  Tuesday, February 05,
2002 2:33 PM

> > That just about wraps it up then. I'll have to come up with an even more
> > cryptic JAPH in future ;)
> >
> > Matt
>
> Oh, I reckon it's an unusually good one - like a mini-lesson in
> regexes.
>
> Colin

It was inspired by a fellow London.pmer who decided to write perl using the
literary rules of Oulipo.  Basically, Oulipo is about restricting the way
you write, for instance writing an entire book without using the letter 'e'.
Anyway this fellow london.pmer decided to write scripts using characters
without ascenders or descenders (ie. no p's or d's etc). The result was
several pages of something which resembled the code below.

Matt

--
s&&!msfQ!&&s&$&utvK&&s&(Q)&\1!sfiupoB&&s&^&reverse Ibdlfs&e&s&^&#
&&s&$&#!uojsq&&s&(.)&chr(ord($1)-1)&ge&s&(.*)&reverse $1&see