[plug] Nightly Shutdown / Backup Scripts

Peter Wilsmore djinn at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 6 10:23:45 WST 2002

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:57:36AM +0800, Mark Nold wrote:
> Is there a way i can shutdown to single user mode then kick of a script
> (backups) then go back to level 3 or 5?

The init command will let you switch between init levels. Check out man
init. You should be able to write a script that will switch to runlevel s
do the backup and then switch back.

> Currently i have cron handling the shutdowns but i have to gues the time it
> takes tar to work, and id like my machine back up as soon as possible.

Why? Run the shutdown at the end of the script that does the backup.
Though I'm not really sure why your going to single user mode to backup
anyway.

thanks,
  Peter