[plug] Nightly Shutdown / Backup Scripts

Bernard bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Feb 6 11:51:09 WST 2002

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:57:36AM +0800, Mark Nold wrote:
> Is there a way i can shutdown to single user mode then kick of a
> script (backups) then go back to level 3 or 5?
>
> Currently i have cron handling the shutdowns but i have to gues
> the time it takes tar to work, and id like my machine back up as
> soon as possible.

Mark,

My suggestion would be to make a separate run level for backups, (eg
4 is unused in most distros). Have this runlevel almost identical to
1 and then throw some extra scripts at S98 to perform the backup and
S99 to go back into runlevel 3 or 5.

That way when you wanted to do the backup you could just type
"init 4" and presto, it comes back live when it's done. Though it
might seem a little overly complicated just for a backup, it would
be neat.

Alternately, use XFS and take advantage of it's snapshot ability
and back it up live :)

Spurious thoughts,

Bernard.

--